Third Short-video Competition of the WATERLAT-GOBACIT Network
We launch this competition in connection with the Network’s IX International Meeting, which will take place on 3-7 September 2018 in the city of João Pessoa, Paraiba, Brazil.
Evaluation CommissionEliano de Souza Martins Freitas, Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG), Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Mariana Reyes, University of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Rui Jacinto, University of Coimbra, Portugal
Ximena Cabral, National University of Cordoba, Argentina
Andrés Villa Aldaco, ITESO, the Jesuit University of Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico
Advisory to the Competition TeamSusana Herrera Lima, ITESO, The Jesuit University of Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Cidoval Morais de Sousa, State University of Paraiba (UEPB), Campina Grande, Paraiba, Brazil
Competition rules1. Participants
Participation is open to professionals and beginners, regardless of age, country or language.
The official languages of the WATERLAT-GOBACIT Network are English, Portuguese, and Spanish. In cases where the original version of the video is in a different language, we require subtitles in any of three official languages of the Network.
The videos will have a maximum length of 15 minutes.
The competition proposes three themes for the videos. It is possible to address more than one theme in a video, but one of the proposed three themes must receive priority.
This is the general theme of the Network’s IX Meeting: Water, rights, and utopias: priorities in the process of democratization of water politics.
The second theme is Water and health, which is the object of the Network’s Thematic Area 5.
Theme 3. The third theme is The right to water in semi-arid regions.
The videos can be presented in the following categories:
- Open category (it can be a mix of categories, and can also include educational materials, journalistic research, etc.).
- Contribution to the Network’s objectives and research priorities.
- Consistency with the theme chosen (point4).
- Pertinence to the category (point 5).
- Conceptual consistency.
- Clarity of the message.
- Quality of production.
- Visual aesthetics.
- Focus and reach of the message (specification of the public or publics addressed, etc.).
Digital media in one of the following formts:: .MOV; .MPEG4; .AVI; .WMV; .MPEGPS; .FLV; .3GPP; .WebM8. Presentation
Those interested in participating in the Competition must send an e-mail to the WATERLAT-GOBACIT Network’s Secretariat, with the following information:
- Complete name of the author/s of the video.
- Complete name of the contact person.
- Complete contact details of the contact person (full address, city, country, telephone, e-mail).
- Title, category, and date of production of the video.
- Indicate if the video has been submitted for evaluation to other competitions.
- Indicate if the video has been awarded a prize in other competitions.
- Important: videos produced before 30 September 2017 or videos that have already been awarded a prize cannot participate in the main competition but will be included in a competition for an honour mention.
- Short abstract of the topic covered by the video, and data sheet including language, duration, format, etc.
- Declaration of authorship. By submitting their video to the competition, the author/s automatically declare to be authors of the work and that it is not subject to any third-party property rights. The WATERLAT-GOBACIT Network reserves the right to exclude from the competition those videos that do not comply with this requirement, at any moment, including after the final decision if any evidence emerges of anomalies with regard to the work’s property rights. The author/s are fully responsible for any problems caused by violations to authors’ rights in their videos.
- After receiving this document, we will inform the authors how to transfer the video file online.
The reception of videos for the Competition will closed on 16 July 2018.10. Rights of dissemination
The WATERLAT-GOBACIT Network reserves the right to use the videos presented to the Competition in its activities of education, research, public debate, and any other relevant activities. All Network activities are non-profit. This does not infringe the rights of the authors to the acknowledgement of their authorship. The WATERLAT-GOBACIT Network uses the Creative Commons – Attribution license and publishes its videos in its Youtube channel. The Network will be also able to use the videos for promotion purposes exclusively connected with this Competition.11. Evaluation and award process
The Competition results were announced during the Network’s IX International Meeting that took place on 3-7 September 2018 in the city of João Pessoa, Paraiba, Brazil.12. Awards
- The evaluation panel will produce a selection of all videos that have complied with the evaluation criteria mentioned in points 1-8 and will produce a ranked list according to the merits of each work.
- All pre-selected videos will be awarded with dissemination through different platforms, including permanent in a dedicated Playlist of the WATERLAT-GOBACIT Network’s Youtube Channel.
- All participants whose videos pass the evaluation process will receive an official certificate.
- The videos will have additional dissemination through the activities of the Network’s member institutions, in educational and other activities.
For more details or to ask for clarification please send an e-mail to WATERLAT-GOBACIT Network’s Secretariat.